Thursday, September 11, 2008

I have a problem

Hello my name is Emilie and I have a very messy room.

Normally I am very anal maybe even borderline OCD about the organization and cleanliness of my room. But lately I have not been cleaning much. I will blame it on my busy summer, getting sick, and lack of energy.

AND NOW I HAVE THIS!

Junk in front of bed: laundry basket full of beauty junk,
bag of paper garbage
, two Walgreen bags,
box with boots nee
ding to be returned.

Junk on dresser: library books, magazines, keys,
sunglasses, hair elastic, lint roller, another Walgreens bag.


Junk on bookshelf/makeup table: 3 boxes from sephora
one need to be sent back for return, unorganized books and magazines.

Junk in front of closet: Box of stuff, scarfs that need a home,
sweaters that need to be put away, box of get rid of clothes,
clothes that need to be hung in closet, other assorted junk.

The mess is really bothering me. . I do not have any excuses any more but I just can not seem to get it cleaned up. Every time I try things just get moved to another area. Or I get confused and ask myself "where does that even go?".

What should I do? How does everyone tackle their messy areas? Maybe I should just try to clean one area at a time.

btw I left out the gore that is my bathroom, thats a mess too.

4 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

the first step is admitting there MIGHT be a problem. the second is blogging about it...so you are on the right track!

at least your bedroom is a really nice size and the closet is big. i would just get one of those closet organizer/shelving unit things and stick it all in there. at least then you could slide the doors shut.

banananutmeg said...

Hey I can actually help with this one! I have 2 simple rules. I never go to bed without a sparkling sink, and I never move things twice. It is easy to stash stuff and deal with it later, but once you get into the habit...you'll force yourself to find a spot for things once they enter your room.

I live and die by flylady.net Flylady has a cleaning system that has rocked my world called baby steps. Basically, you just set a timer for 15 minutes a day, and you clean up as much as you can during that time, and then stop. Once a week you have a "weekly home blessing hour" where you do your deep cleaning (swish your toilets, change the sheets, vaccume...also all as fast as you can) and a 27 fling boogie, where you take a trash bag, turn on your favorite song, and walk around and throw away 27 things, then tie the bag, put it in the trash, and don't look back. Don't stop until 27 things have been thrown away.

My favorite thing she does is make sure you make your bed when you get up, and don't leave your room until you are dressed with shoes on (you're less likely to sit down and waste time with shoes on)

For an organization website, its VERY confusing to navigate through, but if you check it out, just go to the Flying lessons and fly baby section.

She also sends emails with daily tasks like, "sort and organize your shoes today", or "empty your junk drawers today" or "try on everything you own today, and donate anything you haven't looked at in over a year" It's really awesome...and helps give you a purpose.

My advice for tackling your bedroom, is to not take out anything you can't put back in 1 hour. I'd start by making the bed and gathering up all the laundry. Do a 27 fling boogie (or two, or three). Now pick ONE hot spot (like the foot of your bed or dresser), set a timer for 15 minutes, and put it out. Remember, Don't move anything more than once! (this will keep you focused) If you need to return the boots, go put em in the car and put the receipt in the bag, etc. Never look in the give away pile, box it up and put it in the trunk of your car so you won't be tempted to "rescue" anything. Stick to that hot spot the entire 15 mintues. When the timer goes off, finish up what you can in 5 minutes, and move on to another hot spot.

I could talk about this topic forever because I LOVE to clean.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i don't clean, plain and simple :D

Mamarazzi said...

wow Meg's advice was really awesome. i need to check out that website!